Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 06-17-11, 04:32 AM   #1
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Default EU steps up energy-efficiency rules

EU steps up energy-efficiency rules, starting with motors
EU’s mandatory motor efficiency plan offers a VSD option
Przechodzimy na oszczędne silniki elektryczne
EU SAVE Programme: Promotion of Energy Efficiency in Circulation Pumps, especially in Domestic Heating Systems
LCF energy projects past and present

The European Union is tightening its efficiency rules for electric and electronic devices. Of the 10 things which are supposed to change (and which are estimated to save 315 TWh of energy in the next decade) I've found the following:
  • Quote:
    In the first phase of the new scheme, which is due to come into force on 16 June, 2011, all single–speed, three-phase squirrel-cage induction motors with output ratings from 0.75–375kW sold in the EU will have to achieve at least the IE2 efficiency level. The scheme applies to motors with two, four or six poles.

In the second phase, which comes into force on 1 January 2015, motors rated from 7.5–375kW will either have to achieve the higher IE3 efficiency level, or meet the IE2 level and be equipped with a variable speed drive (VSD). Finally, two years later, the same regulations will be extended to apply to motors as small as 750W. There are no plans to make IE4 motors mandatory – efficiency values have yet to be defined for this class, which will cover “super-premium” technologies such as permanent magnet (PM) motors.
  • As of April 2012 each TV sold in the EU must consume 20% less energy than the average TV did in 2009.
  • As of July 2012 all refrigerators sold in the EU must be at least as efficient as Class A refrigerators were in 2009.
  • Water circulation pumps will become more efficient in 2013.
Unfortunately, I can't find the source document, only bits of info here and there.

Old 06-17-11, 07:07 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Interesting.

I am a bit fuzzy on EU power distribution. I know its 50hz, but is it also all 3 phase? And, you run different voltages too as I recall.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-11, 08:05 AM   #3
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Interesting.

I am a bit fuzzy on EU power distribution. I know its 50hz, but is it also all 3 phase? And, you run different voltages too as I recall.
Correct. 3-phase (400V) is pretty much standard on the street poles, but most houses only take one phase (230V@50Hz, 250V in UK), unless they have some kind of equipment which needs more power (workshop, electric heating, etc.).